4th Grade Singer Shares Highlights from Cold Spring Virtual Talent Show


By: Georgia MacPhail, fourth grade student 


     I heard the Emcees introduce me as I stood behind the curtain, shaking in fear, and excitement. I was five years old. It was my very first time performing in Cold Spring School’s Variety Show. After watching my big sister, Lila perform in it a few times, I was more than ready to step out onto the stage and have those bright lights pointing right at me as I sang “There is A Castle on a Cloud” from Les Miserables. When the curtain opened, I immediately found my family in the audience. I smiled at them, and the music began to play.

     My name is Georgia MacPhail, and I attend Cold Spring School. I am in fourth grade in Mr. Garfield’s class this year. It was my 5th time performing in the school’s talent show. This year was different, for the Pandemic caused this event to take place virtually. This mishap did not discourage me though. I took advantage of this situation by making my own music video and singing one of my favorite songs.

     Recording this was a very exciting opportunity for me! My family decided to go on a hike one day, so we decided that it would be a great idea to film the video on the hike. We took clips walking along the ocean shore, running through the grass, and even one of me standing triumphantly on a tall rock overlooking the sea. That had to be my favorite setting!

     It was also my first time going to a recording studio! Since Lila was on the piano, she came along too. She laid down piano tracks while my dad and I were chatting in a separate studio. Little did we know everyone in the other studio could hear us talking through the headphones! I then recorded my vocals over her piano track. Once the sound engineer put it all together, it sounded amazing!

     I’d like to thank Dr. Alzina, Miss Sara DiSalvo and a few parent volunteers for hosting this phenomenal event, even with COVID-19. We could never have done this without them! I’d say this show has been one of the best so far!

     I love this school with all of my heart. It is my second home. I don’t think I could ever go to a different elementary school, and I will miss this school a lot when I eventually have to leave it. The Variety Show is a part of the year that I most look forward to.

     Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy my music video!




Popular posts from this blog